Monday, December 12, 2011

Individuals United through Christ

Last Thursday, I had some free time in the afternoon, and I decided to go for a walk.  The sun was shining, I was bundled up with a hat and scarf, and I had my iPod rocking some great Christmas music...what a perfect way to spend the afternoon.  As I often do when taking a walk or going for a run, I found myself deep in thought, processing the past week's events and my interactions with people here.  I was thinking a lot about a conversation I had with Karl earlier that week about how we are all connected in this world.  My actions, words and even my thoughts have a direct effect on the people around me and in my life...and this is true for everyone in this world.  We as human beings have the power to affect the mood and personality of those we interact with, therefore giving us a lot of responsibility to try our best to always be making positive influences.

Just the night before I was taking this walk, Karl and I attended a performance at the Lyric Theatre called Action Potential in which some of the kids Karl works with at Disability Club at the 174 Trust were part of.  One of the sketches in the production focused on what it means to be an individual.  The kids portrayed adolescents conforming to different types of groups of people....nerds, athletes, preps, cheerleaders, etc.  They then went on to a succession of individual interpretations through dance.  It was a very interesting sketch, and made me think about being an individual and being comfortable with who God has made me to be.

So as I was taking this walk, I was thinking about the interconnectivity of the people of this world but also the individualism sought by so many.  How does this all play out in a Christian life?

It's funny how God speaks to us, because I am reading 'Love Wins' by Rob Bell, and I came across this:  "That's an extraordinarily complex, interconnected, and diverse reality, a reality in which individual identities aren't lost or repressed, but embraced and celebrated.  An expansive unity that goes beyond and yet fully embraces staggering levels of diversity." 

We are all individually created by our Lord.  We are of different skin color, language, dialect and accents, music and food, customs, habits, patterns, clothing, tradition and ways of celebrating.  But, we are to embrace and celebrate one anothers' differences.  That is what Christ came to this world to do - unite us in his love.  We are all individuals in this world united through Christ.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful post Kendra! I love reading your blogs when I get the chance. It is awesome how God is introducing us to all of the ways that we are truly brothers and sisters in Christ. All from the same basic human family. Lots of love from India!

    ReplyDelete