Thursday, December 1, 2011

Tis the Season

It is the first day of December, which means that I have now been in Belfast for 3 months!  It seems like we were arriving in Belfast just weeks ago.  But then again, as I compare my first few weeks here (not knowing many people, not knowing my way around the city, not understanding what the slang the youth were using meant, or even not understanding the speech because of different accents) with my daily life now, I realize just how much I have learned and experienced.  Every day that I go into work and interact with the people of Whitehouse and the community surrounding it, I am reminded of how blessed I am to be here and how blessed I am to serve alongside the people of Belfast.

Being the first day of December also means that we are in the season of Advent.  I did a children's address in church last weekend for the first day of Advent.  During the address, I spoke about the meaning of the word advent - coming.  During the season of Advent, we are to be preparing our mind, body and soul for the coming of Jesus.  I showed the kids various types of Advent calendars and countdowns to remind us of the coming of Christmas and of the gift of Christ.  As many teaching moments go, I found myself learning more about the message I was speaking than the kids to whom I was addressing. 

I am one who normally gets wrapped up (no pun intended) in the craziness of the Christmas season.  I love, and I mean LOVE, listening to Christmas music and watching Christmas movies.  As soon as Thanksgiving passes, the Christmas tunes are turned on, and if it weren't for Karl asking for a moment's rest from them, they would stay on continuously until Christmas day.  I have been known to spend hours baking sweets and wrapping them in fun boxes to give away to friends.  And, I have to say, I enjoy going out in the rush of Christmas sales, moving from shop to shop, indulging in the consumerism of Christmas.

Lately though, the true meaning of Advent and Christmas has been on my mind.  I keep coming across video clips, articles and blogs about how far we have come from celebrating the coming of Jesus Christ to this Earth on Christmas day (The War Against Christmas, Jesus has Lost:  http://blowinginthewyomingwind.blogspot.com/ & Advent Conspiracy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IN0W3gjnNE&feature=share).  This year, I do not want to spend the days leading up to December 25 frantically shopping and crossing items off of to-do lists.  I want to spend my time in the presence of loved ones and in the presence of Christ.  This does not mean that I will be changing my name to Scrooge and saying Ba-Humbug to all things Christmas.  I will still listen to my favorite Christmas carols, watch Christmas movies with friends, bake yummy treats and even buy some small tokens of appreciation and love for family members back home.  But, I will be doing all of these things with the Holy Spirit moving through me and with the loving memory of Christ's birth in mind. 

On a side note, all of the YAV's celebrated Thanksgiving last Saturday.  We had a wonderful day - went to the park to play (American) football and then went to Doug and Elaine's for a delicious meal!  Here are some photos from playing football:
Pyramid Time!

Team Skegs (We live on Skegoneill Ave./Dr.)

Team Bathgate (They live on Bathgate Dr.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, who won?! Bathgate? Skegs?! Inquiring YAV minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete