Friday, March 16, 2012

The Simple Joys in Life

Yesterday was one of those days in which I realized just how great the simple things in life are.  I had a wonderful day, even though nothing extraordinary happened during it. 

My day started with Thursday luncheon club.  This is a lunch club for those over the age of fifty in the church and surrounding community.  The club starts at 10:30 with tea and coffee, then proceeds to some sort of entertainment or program until 12:30, when lunch is served.  The entertainment for yesterday's club was Karl Heimbuck himself.  Karl came to play the guitar and sing a number of old gospel and western tunes.  I had a blast singing along on some of the songs and having him at one of my normal weekly events.

After luncheon club, one of the other leaders for the Tremont mission trip took me on a shopping trip to some outlet stores a little ways out of Belfast.  Both he and I were in need of some new shoes, and I was having a hard time finding any in town that were reasonably priced, so he kindly took me to the outlets.  I was excited to find a pair of cute adidas trainers for only 23 pounds, but most of all was pleased to build on a friendship with this leader.  I get to spend a ton of time with people from Whitehouse in the church at the various activities and programs I help out with, but rarely have the opportunity to build on those relationships outside of the church in a social setting.

I came home from my shopping trip and made a batch of puppy chow for one of the other volunteers who is travelling to London and then started prepping Karl's and my living room for a painting job. 
          --side story here:  Karl helps out with a youth program called Urban Magnets in which he had hundreds of fliers to write "Thursday Nights" on.  As with most projects, Karl procrastinated, and the fliers sat on our coffee table for weeks!  I was getting quite annoyed with their presence in our living room, so as a practical joke Ellison, Zoe (two of the other volunteers) and I proceeded to cover an entire wall in our living room with them.  Not thinking, we used sello-tape to do so.  The next week, when the joke had run its course, I started removing the fliers, along with a lot of paint from the wall!  Needless to say Karl had the last laugh, which brings us back at yesterday and my painting job.

After getting a first coat of paint on the living room wall, it was time to go to Boys' Brigade for the evening.  I got to the church and went into the main hall where the boys kick around footballs until the start of BB.  As I walked through the doors of the hall, one of the boys ran up to me with his hand in the air, motioning for a high-five.  I gave him a high-five as he said, "Hey Kendra, last week's assembly was class!"   He was speaking of the assembly I did at Whitehouse Primary for the P5-P7 classes in which I talked about the life skills I learned from playing basketball.  During the assembly, I dribbled the ball through my legs and behind my back and spun the ball on my finger - nothing too extremely showy, but impressive for kids who mainly use their feet to control a ball.  This seemed to have impressed this boy, as he tried doing those things with his football after greeting me last night.  It felt pretty good to receive such a compliment from this boy, who up until last night I thought didn't remember my name or even paid attention to my presence at Boys' Brigade.

No comments:

Post a Comment